"To fully understand a culture, one must be immersed in it"

This blog is about a girl who lived her whole life in America and though she has visited other countries before, she has never lived amongst people with differing customs than her own. This lack of personal knowledge annoyed the girl and she decided to embark on a twenty-two week long journey to Europe, where for seventeen weeks she will be living amongst the Dutch in Amsterdam adapting to their cultural ways. This blog serves as her journal whilst away capturing every moment of shock and growth.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Pao de Acucar

I’ve been to Rio about three or four times in the past but I never went to the Pao de Acucar. My parents are afraid of heights and my baby sister was never to fond it either so I never got to go because I didn’t want to go alone. This time I was with my brave older cousin so she agreed to go with me J. The ride up was pretty packed but the view was amazing, Rio de Janiero is a gorgeous city. When we arrived at the first mountain there were people setting up a stage for a concert set to happen at night, unfortunately it was sold out so we couldn’t go but the decorations were beautiful. While I was there I kind of felt like I was back in America, everyone there was American and you rarely heard people speaking Portuguese. Then we went to the second mountain, which was beautiful too but it lacked sunlight so it was freezing. We stayed there for about five minutes then left, it was way too cold. When we got back to the first mountain we noticed a group of American students surrounding a table curious to know what was going on we went up to them and found a monkey. They were all surrounding a monkey, apparently the monkey was hungry and noticed that there was a plate of food on the table so he/she jumped on the table and started eating. We got there just in time to see the monkey finish eating whatever was on the plate and start drinking the rest of someone’s cappuccino…


































No comments:

Post a Comment